Thursday, May 14, 2009

Don't Mess With the Zoho

I thought this tool was pretty cool and superior to the OfficeLive Beta because it has more features, you don't have to download and install any plugins or updates, and you can upload any document in any format. At first I thought that Zoho had nothing comparable to Excel or PowerPoint like OfficeLive does. But then I did a little more clicking and found that it has basically has everything Live does and a lot more such as an online database, Zoho Wiki, net meetings, and being able to post your document directly to your Blog. Navigating through my documents was a little annoying as several times when I wanted to scroll down or click on a cell or button, there was significant latency, but it is a Beta and OfficeLive has it's problems, if not more actually. One feature I really liked is that you can revert to prior versions of your document of the same file name - to the best of my knowledge you cannot do that in Microsoft Office; you have to rename the document and Save As. Yes you have to pay a monthly subscription to use Zoho as a serious office solution (i.e. more storage space, no limit to the number of records, more emails allowed) BUT I think it is well worth it: I mean you can actually hold a meeting and directly connect to another user's computer and control their desktop. I don't know if it's better than WebEx but still, the fact that you can do that is awesome and makes sharing documents so much easier! You can't mess with the Zoho, it's a powerhouse of document processing and sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment